June 14, 2008

All In The Name Of Love

Despite my stoic demeanor at times and being real cutthroat, I can be a hopeless romantic. I love, love stories and what leads up to them.

Yesterday I was on the subway heading home. With these crazy gas prices I am not really trying to drive anywhere my feet can take me. Usually when I get on the subway there are general rules I follow: find the car with the least amount of people, locate a clean seat, not to sit next to anyone who looks like they need someone to hear their life story, not to make eye contact, read or sudoku to my destination and most importantly not to make eye contact!

So far I was doing well, I found a good seat next to a sleeping asian woman (who I had to keep nudging off of me), and a bag that belonged to a guy on sitting in the other seat. I was doing a sudoku when I started overhearing conversations. Nothing stood out except this older man who was bitching about work. There was nothing interesting about what he was saying, but whom he was saying it to. Next to him was the adorable guy, cute and odd looking at the same time. He was engrossed in what his co-worker was saying, nodding and smiling at certain points. A short while later his co-worker got off.

Now I sat there looking at him, he was dressed semi-casual. Dark pinstriped shirt and dark brown khakis, first thought, I.T. He pulled out a newspaper which he carefully creased the edges as he read. He never took his eyes away from the paper, only when passengers would occasionally load on and off the car. Looking real stiff I noticed that he was quickly glancing only at guys who passed by. Hmm… interesting. From his quick glances, I also noticed how he gently laid his newspaper to the side to graciously pull out a juice bottle from his bag, which he laid perfectly onto his lap. Wow, not only is he stiff, but fastidious too.

It wasn’t until I notice the playfulness in his feet as he read his paper that I thought, ‘that’s kind of cute, maybe I should try and hook him up with Miguel’. Miguel is a real good friend of mine. We had this conversation just the day before about his non-existent dating scene. It made me sad and scream at the same time, he really needs to get out. And who knows maybe this fella “Footsies” will be the ticket Miguel needs. Now what do I do to get Footsies attention? Do I write Miguel’s number on his newspaper, sit next to him and start up a conversation, or just forget about it all together. But something was telling me that I couldn’t let it go.

So I passed my stop and like a true stalker I followed Footsies off the subway and onto his bus. I ended up sitting behind him because this guy who I let in front of me, ended up sitting right next to him. I wrote a note indicating that I had a friend that I was interested in setting him up with and if he was interested he should email me. Easier said than done, I got real nervous. Just as I was dotting the i's and crossing the t's Footsies pulls for his stop. Great! Now I am a big bundle of nerves, AM I CRAZY?! I quickly pull myself together and get off with him. TALK ABOUT FULL STALKER MODE. I didn’t want to follow him all the way home so I stop him.

Me: (shaky voice) Excuse me, here... this is for you
Footies: What is it?
Me: It’s a note… well see I have never did something like this before, but I have a friend that I would love for you to meet
Footies: (Stunned look) OK… and you think I would be interested?
Me: I think so, my email address is there if you are
Footies: Ok… I noticed you on the subway… do you live around here?
Me: Yes, on the other side (he didn’t ask how far)
Footies: Oh.. Ok. My name is - - - -
Me: Nice to meet you. (I am nuts!) ... I'm - - - -
Ok I did it. It was not as bad as I pictured it. Now I hope it was not all done in vain.

1 comment:

Angelo said...

You're crazy....