June 11, 2008

Mike and the Mechanics

I hear there are 3 types of good people you should have; a lawyer, an accountant and a mechanic. So far I think I am doing real well in all departments. I have 4 close friends that are lawyers, 2 people that know the beneficial legal inner-workings of accounting, and one good mechanic.

I am also a strong believer in not mixing business with pleasure. Situations ALWAYS get complicated, no matter how well you think you may get along. So far I have been really good in keeping up with my mantra, but it seems that others are having some complications.

For instance… my mechanic. I have known him for years, 18 years to be exact. And he has been taking care of my car Mookie. Mookie has seen better days, and has been struggling to hold it together due to the neglect of his owner. Sorry.

Well whenever I need anything for my car… my mechanic was there. He always goes the extra mile to make sure my car is running well and he pretty much charges me next to nothing. Considering that we have known each other for years we have established, a brother/sister relationship. Well at least that’s what I thought until one Monday evening when I went to go and pick up my car. He expressed his interest in me and I let him down as gently as I possibly could.

I am use to guys just brushing it off like they never really meant to say it. But he didn’t take it so well. He called me up 2 days later to tell me that he was really upset and miserable. I have went there a couple of times after that incident only for him to plead with me and not charge me for the work that he has done. I decided from that day onwards to stop going there and to keep my distance. Sadly enough that means Mookie has to keep his distance as well.

This has been costing me, but I felt that it was worth it. I didn’t want my mechanic to think I was taking advantage of him, and I after what I; witnessed he is not capable of remaining professional.

Now 3 days ago Mookie got the shakes and staled. I had to tow him to a local mechanic, where I went before. My father insisted I take my car to my mechanic because this new one was charging me too much and may not do a good job. But, I had my reasoning, and I didn’t feel like towing my car elsewhere. Long and behold, I get my car back, pay the excessive amount of money, only to have my car start rattling and heat up the next day. Of course I call the mechanic to have him tell me “look lady, we didn’t do anything we weren’t suppose to, and if there is something else wrong with the car bring it in and we will see what we can do”

My father took the initiative to call my mechanic without me knowing. The next morning I wake up and my mechanic is there with a replacement car for me to drive so he could take mine in for repairs. I argue about how unnecessary it is for him to go to those extremes, and my fathers cuts off my rant by offering him some coffee.

I leave for work, he takes my car.
Today I go and pick up my car in all its pristine glory. Mookie look and sounded better than he has in a long while. My mechanic looks at me and wonders why I would take my car elsewhere. Not knowing what to say I say nothing at all except. “how much do I owe you” He replies by walking away.

No comments: