June 3, 2008

"I Would Like For You To Meet My Son"

Today I called an old friend of mine Uda to wish him condolences. His father just recently passed away. In the mist of our conversation we started to reminisce about the last time that we all got together. His father and my father were really good friends… two peas in a pod if you will; they traveled far and wide before either one of us was ever thought of. We were cracking up about things our father use to do and say. One thing in particular was how Uda’s father would insist on us getting married; even though Uda was practically married with children.
Now this situation never fazed Uda’s father, every chance he got he would slip in a comment about how we should call each other and 'get together'.

We got a really good laugh out of the situation, and it got me thinking. There would have been a time that I would have considered going out with Uda. Mind you this was years ago… I think I was 12 or so. He is not the typical crush a young girl would have on someone… he was a big bully. Growing up everyone was terrified of him. I haven’t seen him for years up until last year. And before then I thought he was in jail or engaging in some criminal activity, because no one seen or heard from him in decades. I am pleased to be wrong about him. He has turned out to be a gentleman that you can be real proud of.

Now what I got to really thinking of was, what if his father was right? Not saying that I would go back or try to get with him now. I have grown to adore him as a sister would. But I started to think about it in terms of the number of guys that people have tried to hook me up with, and the number of guys that I have wrinkled my nose at in disapproval. What if they were right or they saw something that I didn’t.


I would love to think that parents always have their children’s best interest at heart. I look at the number of people who are in happy arranged marriages. I know of 4 couples that have been arranged by their parents and have absolutely no complaints. They are elated and revealed that the search is over and they are with someone that they feel completely suited for.

My parents have never directly brought someone home for me to meet. But my father has hinted at a couple of prospects and my mother has talk about how handsome and smart so and so is. Funny enough, the things that my parents point out in individual are things that are important to me, but I don’t want to be blatantly shallow.

My mother has on occasion pointed out certain physical flaws in fellas that have left me dumbfounded by her honesty. My father has also insisted on my prospects making a certain amount of money and coming from a family that with a good reputation.

See these things are not all wrong, are they? I think I have sublimely turned down guys and blamed it on my parents disapproval. The older that I have become, the less rebellious I am with my parents. Whenever I date someone and my folks make any hint to not approving, that wheel in my head starts spinning. Usually months down the line whatever was hinted, comes to light in flashing bright colours.

There is nothing like having all love ones in your life love each other, and that is what I hope for.
Who knows… maybe Uda’s father was on to something. But at this point we will never know. I couldn’t be more happier with where I am at.

No comments: