April 11, 2009

Ring the ALARM!

Some of you know that I have been looking for a new family doctor for a while now. Since my wonderful physician died 4 years ago, I haven't had a replacement. Working in the hospital has spoiled me; whenever I felt like I was coming down with something or aching anywhere, I would just walk over and see one of the doctors I worked with.

Finally I found one, she is approachable, professional and most importantly she is attentive. On our first visit she sat me down for us to get acquainted and adjusted to one another. I pulled out my “list of concerns” and she pulled in a little closer to read the list beside me. I pulled that maneuver with another doctor before and he got agitated.

After the initial visit I was impressed and confident that I found myself a new family doctor. She set me up for a physical and I was good to go. Or was I?

My appointment was scheduled for Thursday afternoon. I left work early to head to the appointment, which I believed was scheduled for 3pm. I arrive at the doctor's office at 2:20 only to be told by the clerk that my appointment was at 5pm. I was confused so I pulled out the appointment card, and what I interpreted at 1500hrs, was actually the 9th of Aprill 500. There were 2 bloody L’s in APRIL! And it was written close together. What the heck!?! I have gotten so use to military hours so I assumed it was 1500=3pm. The clerk acknowledges the error and he tells me that the doctor is not in until 5pm, so I agreed to come back.

I went to my second half of work. I did a couple of things, called a cab and pack up to leave. As usual my departure from work is long, when the patients are awake there is always a chorus line waiting to say good-bye. I make my way to the staircase and then I spot another patient. I decide to head in the other direction towards the elevators. I get to the elevators and spot a patient who is heading down. We both get into the elevator and get to the ground floor, when all of a sudden the lights blank out. HUH? Seconds later, the loud buzzing of the fire alarm sounds. OH GREAT! So there I am in the elevator with an over anxious patient STUCK!

If it wasn’t for the patient panicking I think I would have panicked and fainted. She was confused, nervous and scared. I felt real bad for her. As soon as she calmed it was announced that it was a false alarm. The elevators doors finally opened and we rushed out.

By the time we got out my cab left. I had to take the stairs back up to get onto my floor. The alarm was sporadic; it was going on and off and driving me nuts. I finally got to my desk and called the doctor’s office to let them know I may be a few minutes late, and the number kept getting redirected to a medical emergency “help line”. I ignore it and call for another cab.

This time I take the stairs. AND MAN AM I OUTTA SHAPE! I was taking those bad-boys DOWN and I was out of breathe! That’s madness. I was bitching walking down the stairs, all the while I was telling myself I need to get into shape ASAP!

I spot the cab coming and I run to the front desk for a “taxi chip” so I can get back.

I run, or I should say limp outside to catch the cab and I notice someone climbing in. OH HELL NAW! I was not letting this cab go. I walk up to the door and look at ol’ boy from the Maintenance Department getting comfortable in the seat.

“Excuse me, is this cab going to --- Avenue for ‘Jinx’?”
Driver – “Yes it is”
“This may be my cab”
Ol' Boy – “Oh I am sorry I just got in, but I am going to --- Avenue too”
Driver – “well I can take the both of you”
I hesitated for a little, then hopped in.

Apparently ol’ dude was going to #230 and I was going to #500. So the driver decided to drop him off first. I insisted that I should be dropped off because I had an appointment I needed to get to; it was 4:30pm and it was a 5-minute drive from where we were. But the driver insisted that ol’ dude should get dropped off first because he was closer. But he wasn't, we had to turn down all kinds of one-way streets to get to his destination.

He was dropped off, then from behind us sirens started ringing. Next thing I know 3 fire trucks blaze past us and stop right in front of us.

We were stuck. No one was moving. I couldn’t believe it.

I was just watching the minutes roll by. I kept calling the office and getting the “hotline” It was driving me nuts.

I didn’t spot a fire, but the trucks were obviously blocking the road for a reason. The cab driver was able to find a way out onto the main road.

It was 5:20pm by the time we made it to the doctor's building. I was not impressed. I was defeated and decided to head back to work.

All this, for what? I don’t know.

I didn’t make it to my appointment, I got back to work to have a patient drool all over my shoes, I was spent, agitated, and miserable. The fire alarm sounded at work for the next 2 hours, which I failed to notice beside I got accustomed to the sound.

No comments: